If you need a break from turkey curry this year, then take a gander at South Place Chop House Head Chef Robert Stephens' ultimate leftovers recipe... Turkey ham and leek pie!
Turkey, ham & leek pie
500g cooked turkey, cut into bite-size pieces
200g cooked ham, cut into bite-size pieces
225g frozen puff pastry, defrosted
200ml double cream
200ml chicken or turkey stock
10 button mushrooms
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, sliced into lozenges
2 large leeks, sliced into 2cm pieces, washed
1 free-range egg, beaten
2 tbsp parmesan, finely grated
2 tbsp chopped tarragon
Butter, for frying
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C
2) Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Add a knob of butter and the onion, then gently cook until soft but not brown. Add the carrots and leek and continue cooking for five minutes until the carrots begin to soften.
3) Cover with the cream and stock and simmer until the sauce starts to thicken.
4) Add the turkey, ham, mushrooms, cayenne and herbs then season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5) Remove the pan from the heat and pour the filling into a ceramic pie dish.
6) Roll out the pastry to make a lid for the pie and strips to line the rim of the dish. Press the strips onto the rim, moistening them with a little water, then press down the lid firmly and brush with the beaten egg.
7) Sprinkle with the parmesan and cook in the oven for 20 minutes until the pastry is golden-brown.