This Christmas our chefs are sharing their top tips with you. First up we've got the perfect starter, from Aster's Executive Chef, Helena Puolakka. It's super-simple and delicious, but requires a little time...
Gravad lax a la Helena
½ side of salmon
25g caster sugar
75g rock salt
5g fennel seeds
5g coriander seeds
5g white peppercorns
1 star anise
½ bunch of dill
1) Blend the spices with the lemon zest and mix it with the salt/sugar mix.
2) Sprinkle the brandy on the salmon then cover with dill and the salt mix and let marinate for 36 hours turning from one side to another after 18h.
3) When ready rinse the salmon and finely slice
Perfect served with...
Helena's potato salad
8 charlotte potatoes
2 tbsp capers
2tbsp chopped dill
3 spring onions finely sliced
3tbsp rape seed oil/ light olive oil Provence-style
1tbsp chardonnay vinegar
Maldon sea salt
Fresh black pepper
1) Boil the potatoes with their skins on
2) When they're cooling down peel them and dice them.
3) Sprinkle with vinegar and allow to macerate for 10-15 minutes then season
4) When fully cooled, fnish off with rape seed oil, dill and spring onions